Friday, August 01, 2008

Not Goodbye But See You Later

Being in the military can be bittersweet...often times more bitter than sweet! Gemma can attest to the many times that I often complain and whine about how the "system" is broken, and how it affects the care of my patients. One of the joys of being a family physician is the continuity of care that I can deliver to my patients which leads to a more trusting physician-patient relationship. Military deployments are often the biggest threat to that relationship as physicians are being called to the Middle East for 6 months or longer. In my case, I have been called to serve in Afghanistan for 12 months and will be leaving for 3 months of training this August (actually, in few days). The details of my assignment are a bit hazy at this point, but every time I watch CNN I get a little more nervous. This calling has been a bit of a shock for my family, but the Lord has enabled us to find strength in this time of great trial and uncertainty.

Before we arrived on Guam I could feel the Lord calling our family to this little island in the middle of the Pacific. I wasn't sure what was in store for us, but I prayed that the Lord would use us in a mighty way. He has truly blessed us with "more than we can ever ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20) The opportunity for medical ministry, youth ministry, music ministry, and even radio ministry has unleashed a sense of discipleship that can only be attributed to the changing power of Christ. Thank you, Lord, for Your work in us.



"And we know that all things work together

for good to them that love God,

to them who are called according to His purpose."

Romans 8:28


Being in Guam for 1 year has allowed me to care for people who are truly deserving of the highest standards of medical care...our active duty, active duty dependents, retirees, and veterans who have sacrificed much for the good of our country. Thank you for allowing me the privilege of being your health care provider.



"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least these,

my brethren, ye have done it unto Me."

Matthew 25:40


Me and Sid working together at the SDA clinic

To my fellow Christian brothers and sisters who have embraced my family from the first day we arrived on island, I thank you. To the radio crew at Joy92 and listeners of Total Health Live, thank you for allowing me the unique opportunity to spread our health message on the air...I will be back!

To the Guam SDA Clinic, thank you for the sacrifice and zeal that you have demonstrated towards the people of Guam, and for the opportunities that you have given to us for medical ministry.

To the precious youth and young adults who have allowed themselves to be teachable and open to the power of Scripture...may we all remain faithful to the finishing of the work. And may that work begin in all of us!

Our final Sabbath potluck on Guam... until next time!


An army of youth!


"The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few.

Pray ye, therefore, the Lord of the harvest,

that He will send forth labourers into His harvest."

Matthew 9:37, 38

5 comments:

SaraG said...

God Bless you and Keep you SAFE.

Rhona said...

Mike and Gemma,
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6,7

Kenneth said...

We're praying for you Mike!

Momma Dot said...

Hi Gemma and Mike and growing family.... We e'mailed each other awhile ago when I found out we were moving to GUAM. Well we are here and your family is not. We have been here now for almost a month and just received our household goods and slowly making a home here at Leo (heard we're neighbors, too?)... we look forward to meeting you all when you come back! Congrats on your sweet blessing - baby Maya! Be safe and be blessed! -Dot Ramirez

Wilman M. Torres said...

Dear Mike,
i dont know if you received our previous comments anyway we want you to know that we are following your journey. We praise and give thanksgiving to our maker who send his angel to encampeth round about them that fear him and delivereth them.We`see that the Lord is with you. With love and prayer.
Uncle Willy & Auntie